The McGarvie Smith Institute focuses on making grants to fund research in the production livestock industries. The Institute works closely with NSW Trade & Investment and the Faculty of Veterinary Science of the University of Sydney.
The McGarvie Smith Institute was established in 1918 as a result of a gift to the State of NSW by John McGarvie Smith, who had developed a vaccine for Anthrax. The Institute was incorporated by the McGarvie Smith Incorporation Act 1928. The Institute focuses on making grants to fund research in the production livestock industries. The Institute has a limited capital base and seeks appropriate niche research projects. The Institute works closely with NSW Trade & Investment and the Faculty of Veterinary Science of the University of Sydney.
The prime objective of the Institute is that expressed in Clause 5(b) of the McGarvie Smith Incorporation Act 1928:
To promote and advance either alone or in conjunction with any person or body corporate, or with the Department of Agriculture of NSW, veterinary science and the sciences of pathology, microbiology, parasitology, or any allied science so far as they relate to veterinary science, and to engage in the promotion of scientific research and the equipment of laboratories in NSW or elsewhere in such manner and at such cost as the trustees may from time to time determine.
In accordance with Clause 5(c) of the McGarvie Smith Incorporation Act 1928: The Institute may take or accept any gift, subsidy or endowment, whether subject to any special trust or not, for all or any of the objects of the body corporate and to carry out any special trust to which such gift subsidy, or endowment may be subject according to the terms thereof .